No New Yorker Left Behind: NYC Based Sustainable Businesses Launch COVID-19 Response Initiatives
Members of Climate Week NYC’s ‘Climate Action is our Business’ campaign have gone above and beyond to face the challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic in their communities. From the start, sustainable eateries and businesses have given new meaning to the phrase ‘New York Strong’ by answering calls for help whenever they came, from the frontlines to the homes of elderly New Yorkers.
BLOOMAGAINBKLYN - BloomAgainBklyn is committed to creating connections among Brooklyn’s most vulnerable populations through the beauty and healing power of repurposed flowers. To combat pandemic related hardship in the communities they serve, BloomAgainBklyn has redirected their talent and resources beyond flowers to aid Brooklyn’s most vulnerable.
- Supplies Distribution: With support from loyal volunteers and partnerships, BloomAgainBklyn is delivering much needed resources and support to the administrative staff and populations of local senior health care centers, home bound seniors, and trauma and homeless survivors affected by COVID-19. So far, they have distributed masks, gloves, gift cards, flowers, food, and more.
- Floral Collages and Greeting Cards: 200 beautiful floral collages were distributed to partner organizations, homebound seniors and to those in the community members at the food bank in East New York. BloomAgainBklyn also helped arrange for colorful cards, created by the children at Plymouth Church, to be sent to brighten up the windows and bring a little cheer to the seniors at Heights and Hills and Cobble Hill.
- Virtual Workshops: BloomAgainBklyn created new ways to escape self-isolation and explore the world through the beauty of flowers over Zoom through a series of online workshops focused on sustainability and design.
THE WALLY SHOP - The Wally Shop is the one stop shop online platform for 100% waste free products. They connect consumers with their favorite sustainable brands across beauty, cleaning, pet supplies, and more. Through several COVID response initiatives, The Wally Shop provided stability for the most vulnerable during a time of fear and uncertainty.
- The Wally Shop x Feeding America: The Wally Shop has donated $1 of every order placed to Feeding America, an organization battling hunger in the US with special attention to the newly unemployed.
- Accessible Shipping: In addition to the expanding shipping to nationwide, The Wally Shop provides free shipping on orders placed by healthcare and emergency service workers and seniors 65+.
RIVERDEL CHEESE - Riverdel Cheese, located in downtown Manhattan, is the foremost expert in all things vegan cheese. To share their love of vegan cheese while keeping customers safe, the Riverdel team has made their products accessible in new ways.
- Online Classes: Register for an online class with the experts of Riverdel to learn to create dairy masterpieces right from your own kitchen. Classes range from nut milk to cheese making and are a great idea for any kind of event. Register to receive a full ingredient list and Zoom access. 50% of all proceeds will go to SiSu Refugee, an animal sanctuary located in North Carolina.
- Riverdel Pop-Ups: Riverdel is also hosting pop-ups across NYC featuring small, vegan businesses they love. Follow their pop-up schedule to find Riverdel in your neighborhood.
BROOKLYN GRANGE - Brooklyn Grange is the leading rooftop farming and intensive green roofing business in the US. Brooklyn Grange has not only adapted their important work to accommodate social distancing, they have also launched several charity initiatives to feed New Yorkers affected by COVID.
- Brooklyn Grange x Rethinking Food NYC: The Brooklyn Grange team grows and harvests food for Rethink Food NY, an organization aimed at recovering nutritious excess food to provide low or no-cost meals to New York City families. Help support this important, sustainable mission today.
- Outdoor Events: Learn more about sustainable urban farming by signing up for a small private tour of the farm, an intimate rooftop yoga class, or a socially distanced workshop!
HUTCH + WALDO - Inspired by the coastal vibes of Australia, Hutch + Waldo is a New York City based café with food that is always seasonal and wholesome. As proud community members, the team at Hutch + Waldo has committed to COVID relief work in their neighborhood.
- Meals for Medical Team: The Hutch + Waldo “Feed a Medical Team on the Frontline” program is designed to provide healthy, delicious meals to medical teams currently fighting on NYC’s frontlines against the COVID pandemic.
- Letters of Support: To accompany the meals to the frontline, the Hutch + Waldo Team arranged for customers to write letters of support to medical workers battling COVID.
MODO YOGA STUDIO - MODO Yoga Studio is an NYC based community of inspired students, joined by a love of yoga, commitment to protecting the earth, and drive to bring more peace into the world. This mission is especially important during the pandemic, so MODO Yoga found a way to continue their work in accordance with health and safety regulations.
- New Online Platform: MODO Yoga rolled out a new streamlined online platform with all live and on-demand classes. The site will also feature a growing library of incredible and diverse curated content including workshops, tutorials and music.
- Outdoor Classes: Bring your own gear for socially distanced weekend outdoor yoga with MODO yoga at their Brooklyn location.