The virtual Climate Jobs and Just Transition Summit will bring together labor leaders, union climate activists, environmental and environmental justice advocates, clean-energy developers, policymakers, scientists, and anyone who wants to build the clean-energy economy of tomorrow with good union jobs. The Summit will feature speakers and panelists from around the country and around the world.
We will talk about the ways that climate change and inequality are inextricably linked, dig into specific opportunities for bold climate action and building new industries, and engage in a holistic discussion about just transition for workers in fossil fuel industries and their communities.
At a time that calls for public investment on a scale not seen since the Great Depression, let’s make sure that we’re investing in the economy of the future. Let’s make sure we take action at a scale climate science demands. Let’s make sure that we take on three crises at once: the Covid-19 pandemic and resulting economic crisis, the climate crisis, and the crisis of extreme inequality that cannot be ignored.
*Please note that registered attendees can come for the whole day or sign on for individual sessions.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY)
- Former White House Chief of Staff John Podesta
- President, New York City Central Labor Council, Vincent Alvarez
- Climate Justice Activist Based in New York City Xiye Bastida
- Award-winning community organizer and urban planner, Eddie Bautista
- SEIU 32BJ President Kyle Bragg
- Nobel Laureate Marilyn Brown
- J. Mijin Cha, Assistant Professor in the Urban and Environmental Policy Department at Occidental College
- Executive Director of the Long Island Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO, Roger Clayman
- Assistant Business Manager of Local 3’s Maintenance Department, Christopher Erikson
- Former Secretary-Treasurer of Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Mike Fishman
- Secretary-Treasurer of the Texas AFL-CIO, Montserrat Garibay
- Director of Climate Policy at the Roosevelt Institute, Rhiana Gunn-Wright
- Acting President and CEO of NYSERDA, Doreen M. Harris
- Executive Director of District Council 37 Henry A. Garrido
- Equinor, Siri Espedal Kindem
- President of the Building and Construction Trades Council of Greater New York Gary LaBarbera
- President and founder of Opower (NYSE: OPWR), Alex Laskey
- International Vice President Local 30, William Lynn
- Program Director, Sustainable Development, Rockefeller Brothers Fund Michael Northrop
- President TWU International, John Samuelsen
- Executive Director of The Worker Institute at Cornell Lara Skinner
- President the Utility Workers Union of America, AFL-CIO, James T. Slevin
- Bloomberg Philanthropies' Climate Lead Antha Williams
- Michael Yee, Local Union No. 3, IBEW
- Governor Cuomo's Climate Czar Ali Zaidi